October 7, 2011

My genderqueer library book tells me, "My god, you're so pretty!"

Oh hey there gender blenders,

Yesterday I went to the library and checked out a book called Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender and Conformity edited by Mattilda a.k.a. Matt Bernstein Sycamore. And between the pages of the essay, "'And Then You Cut Your Hair': Genderfucking on the Femme Side of the Spectrum" (the essay I was most excited to read in the first place), I found the little note in the picture over there. It kind of made my effing day. The funny thing is, I actually say "my god, you're so pretty" on a regular basis.

Have you all heard of Operation Beautiful?
"The mission of Operation Beautiful is to post anonymous notes in public places for other women to find. The point is that WE ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL. You are enough... just the way you are!"
I don't know if my note specifically stemmed from this project, but you get the idea. The plan is to make my own note to put in the book before I return it to the library.

In my next post I will discuss the essay "'And Then You Cut Your Hair': Genderfucking on the Femme Side of the Spectrum" that is included in Nobody Passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment