October 1, 2011

Androgynous femme fashion goes to the office

Hey there gender blenders,

I've been having a little excitement lately! Guess who will be starting two new jobs this month? Moi! So, I thought now would be a perfect time to talk about androgynous femme fashion in the office! Not only delving into some wearable goodies, but also addressing gender expression in the workplace.

Here's a page out of August's issue of Harper's Bazaar--I love the idea of menswear-inspired trousers and jackets. (Check out the suit on the woman with the red hair in the bottom right corner.)


I found a few look-alikes at Anthropologie and Modcloth. They're pretty pricey and not all that size friendly beyond a large on the jacket and 14 on the trousers. Think of them as inspirations for your own little scavenger hunt.

Dapper & Dashing Trousers
Buried in Books Blazer

Confession: Outwardly, I'm rather femme looking. While the way I "do gender" is a lot more complicated than that, I can remember very few instances in which my gender expression was questioned, challenged, or read as somehow a "problem" in terms of its so-called appropriateness. (Although femme invisibility is a whole other issue.) The relationship between my gender and female existence are generally seen as "uncomplicated," while in truth, "doing gender" is always complicated. I am interested, therefore (and for other reasons as well), in experiences of gender in the office and everywhere else. Do you "do gender" differently at work than when in other situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment